Saturday, January 5, 2008

Champ

Lindsay D sure was ballin’ today, taking out Aravane Rezai and the Auckland title in under an hour, 62 62. Rezai never really got out of the box against Davenport. The Frenchwoman wasn’t playing the same ferocious level of tennis we’ve seen from her over the week, but I guess you’re meant to say “Davenport didn’t let her”. Lindsay played very well, especially on her service games, not facing one break point. It’s been a string of strong performances from her this week, saving her best for the final, and she looks very good heading into the Australian Open. Hard to believe she’ll be unseeded in Melbourne, it will be interesting. And baby Jagger joined his mother on court today after the match, much to the crowd’s delight. Baby Jagger = ratings.

So the match was a little disappointing contest-wise, but you can’t be disappointed with Lindsay Davenport as the 2008 ASB Classic Champion. Davenport winning another event since her comeback should give the Classic some press and raise the tournament’s status a little bit. The last three ASB Classic champs have been Marion Bartoli, Jelena Jankovic and now Lindsay. Pretty impressive for a Tier IV event.

The doubles final was more exciting. Yesterday I said that I was going for Martina Muller and Barbora Zahlavova Strycova, as I like Muller a lot (though I wish she’d win more matches). But I liked the team of Osterloh-Koryttseva as well, and they put on a good show in yesterday’s semifinal. She’s not hard on the eyes is Lilia Osterloh. Neither is Martina Muller, but if I went on about all the pretty tennis players this would be a long post. Let’s just say that all four women played a good standard of tennis, and in the end Lilia Osterloh and Mariya Koryttseva became the 2008 ASB Classic Tag Team Champions with a hard-fought 63 64 victory.

So that’s that, another great ASB Classic in Auckland. I had fun. I’ll be back tomorrow for a wrap up post, with some pictures and stuff, and to look ahead to the Heineken Open which begins on Monday. Can’t forget about the men.

I dig this photo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your reports from the event! Great job!